Moving to a new place always has its challenges. I just moved at the beginning of this month, and I have since taken a vow to hire movers next time. But I also realized that moving provides great opportunities to recycle and reuse lots of different items. Whether you are moving soon or just gearing up for some spring cleaning, these tips provide easy ways to reduce your carbon footprint:
- Collect leftover boxes from your office or local businesses. I’ve found that grocery stores are often more than happy to hand over some nice cardboard boxes. When you’re finished moving, recycle them.
- Pack clothing and other soft items in suitcases or duffle bags that you already own.
- Use old newspapers to wrap fragile items. It works just as well as tissue paper and is easily recyclable.
- Consider holding a yard sale to give your unwanted clothes, toys and appliances a new home.
- Donate new or gently used items to local charities or thrift shops.
Have any other tips or tricks for moving in an eco-friendly manner? Let us know!