What began as an official feast day in the seventeenth century has become a dazzling celebration complete with corned beef, green beer and “Kiss me, I’m Irish” shirts. Whether or not you’re Irish, Chicago is a great place to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day. Here’s a few ways you can get your green on this weekend:
- Visit Shamrock Subs & Smoothies in McHenry for delicious, hearty sandwiches. This sub shop offers fresh-baked bread, meats and cheeses, and they also serve a variety of fat-free and dairy-free smoothies.
- Take a stroll along the Chicago River and admire the uncanny green glow. Then follow suit with your own green attire—check out thrift stores like Woodstock Community Thrift for great prices and eco-friendly (dare I say green?) shopping.
- Instead of going the same old pub, mix it up and try a new venue. Try a friendly spot like Hitz Pizza & Sports Bar in Mundelein. You never know, you might just discover a new favorite hangout.
- Add some greenery to your life with a new houseplant, or make a list of the plants and vegetables you want to plant this spring. You can also opt for convenience with a custom-made vertical garden from Chicago Earth.
- If you overindulge while celebrating, you might be feeling less than lucky the next day. Detoxify with Saunatox sessions from Planet Beach Contempo Spa in Deer Park. These sessions are designed to eliminate toxins, firm your skin and reduce stress.
Have a safe and fun St. Paddy’s Day!